You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive need to finish updating before continuing with sign out, spinning wheel for last 8 hours.

I'm cleaning my Mac Book Air (Mid 2012) to factory settings to give to my granddaughter. I purchased a new Mac Book Air M1 Chip, transferred all my files and then continued to use my old MBA just to make sure all my files transferred. I started updating iCloud drive before wiping the drive and reinstalling macOS. I started the update last night, this morning the window shows "Downloading 3 items )14.20 GB of 16.32 GB)". That is what it showed this morning and what it still shows, over 11hours. How long should this take? Only 2.12 GB remaining to download. The wheels are spinning, but not going any where! Should I click "Cancel" and start over or click "Stop Updating and Continue"?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2021 2:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 6:53 PM

Ok, tired of waiting, I backed up to an external drive and clicked "Stop Updating and Continue" which took me back to the window asking if I wanted to backup files. I don't need to backup files to this computer, they are on iCloud and my new computer. Duh! Solved this issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2021 6:53 PM in response to DONJ67

Ok, tired of waiting, I backed up to an external drive and clicked "Stop Updating and Continue" which took me back to the window asking if I wanted to backup files. I don't need to backup files to this computer, they are on iCloud and my new computer. Duh! Solved this issue.

iCloud Drive need to finish updating before continuing with sign out, spinning wheel for last 8 hours.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.