You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Air Port Express is not recognized in the Other Wi-Fi Devices button of my wired AirPort Extreme WiFi connection. I am wishing to extend the network wirelessly.

I had the AP Express set up, but an internet shut down confounded my set-up. Should I reset the AP Express so that it might be seen in the Other WiFi Devices buttoin and appear in the AirPort Utility screen?>

Posted on May 11, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 12:28 PM

Thank you - the restart and using the iPad did the trick - I would not have even considered that method - I was locked into thinking about the desktop and Extreme hardware - I moved the Express and it lit up green - all that you directed worked to perfection - I am grateful for your help!

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you - the restart and using the iPad did the trick - I would not have even considered that method - I was locked into thinking about the desktop and Extreme hardware - I moved the Express and it lit up green - all that you directed worked to perfection - I am grateful for your help!

May 11, 2021 10:22 AM in response to frederick d fromOH

Temporarily, power down the Express and move it to the same room or close proximity to the AIrPort Extreme

Power up the Express and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

At this point, you can use the WiFi menu.....recommend by Apple in the Setup Guide.....to reconfigure the Express or you can use the Other WiFi Devices button and select the Express to start the setup process.

If you elect to use the WiFi menu........

Click directly on AirPort Express under the listing of New AirPort Base Station to start the setup process

Follow the prompts to enter a name for the Express and continue with the setup

When the screen displays the message of Setup Complete, click Done

Power off the Express and move it back to the desired location. Ideally, the Express will have a line-of-sight relationship with the AirPort Extreme for best performance.

Even then, unfortunately this type of wireless extension setup will result in a loss of at least half of the potential speed of the WiFi network.

That loss can be avoided if you can maintain a permanent wired Ethernet connection between the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express. Establish the Ethernet connection before you set up the Express to configure the Express to Extend Using Ethernet.

May 11, 2021 11:10 AM in response to frederick d fromOH

Power off both the AirPort Extreme and Express, then power them again and restart your Mac before you try the set up again.

AirPort Utility on a Mac has always had some quirks. Try the setup using an iPhone or iPad if you have one handy.

Home Screen > Settings > WiFi > Set Up New AirPort Base Station

If AirPort Express still does not appear, the WiFi on the Express may have failed. This would not be all that unusual on a 5-6+ year old Express

My Air Port Express is not recognized in the Other Wi-Fi Devices button of my wired AirPort Extreme WiFi connection. I am wishing to extend the network wirelessly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.