You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimize iPad storage

Hi, i have a ipd pro 11-2020 model 256 gb. I have about 30 gb plus of photos on my icloud drive. My question is, if i download and keep originals on my ipad as well as my icloud will there be duplicate pictures in my photos app? Im confused because i don't want the same pictures duplicated. Should i turn off i cloud photos once they are downloaded? I also want pictures that i take on my iphone to automatically download to my ipad as well. Your help will be much appreciated

Posted on May 30, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 4:43 PM

The optional Optimize iPad Storage works with iCloud Photos, not with iCloud Drive. Which service contains your photos?

Assuming you are talking about iCloud Photos, the choice is between keeping full-resolution photos on your iPad versus having them sometimes reduced to low-resolution versions if storage gets tight. Either way, no duplication should result.

If you have both your iPhone and your iPad connected to iCloud Photos, any pictures you take on either device will be uploaded to iCloud Photos in full resolution and then downloaded to the other device (or devices) with the resolution determined by the optimize/originals switch on each receiving device. If you don't want that to happen, don't connect both devices to iCloud Photos.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2021 4:43 PM in response to khajotia

The optional Optimize iPad Storage works with iCloud Photos, not with iCloud Drive. Which service contains your photos?

Assuming you are talking about iCloud Photos, the choice is between keeping full-resolution photos on your iPad versus having them sometimes reduced to low-resolution versions if storage gets tight. Either way, no duplication should result.

If you have both your iPhone and your iPad connected to iCloud Photos, any pictures you take on either device will be uploaded to iCloud Photos in full resolution and then downloaded to the other device (or devices) with the resolution determined by the optimize/originals switch on each receiving device. If you don't want that to happen, don't connect both devices to iCloud Photos.

Optimize iPad storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.