You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Mail App: Is there a way to split the Trash/Junk Toolbar icon? Causes unintended junk filtering

Wondering why the Trash and Junk icons are fused together and if there is a way to separate them.

I would like to put the Junk icon further away from the Trash icon because I have inadvertently marked some mail as Junk when I simply meant to delete it. This has caused me to miss some critical emails.

I can't think of a reason they are together except the programmer thinks they are close enough to the same thing--which they are definitely NOT.

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 2:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 3:24 PM

Yes, you can separate the Trash and Junk icons in Mail.

Right-click (control-click) the toolbar and select Customize Toolbar...

You can then remove the fused icon and replace with two separate icons located where you like.

3 replies

MacOS Mail App: Is there a way to split the Trash/Junk Toolbar icon? Causes unintended junk filtering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.