You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP M1 Pro | WindowServer high memory usage

The WindowServer process goes crazy with the RAM. It uses over 35GB when after 3-4 hours of system uptime. I viewed a lot of topics and discussions about this issue, but nothing helped to fix it. Memory usage goes up until I force quit the process or restart the system. Why Apple doesn't pay any attention to this issue? So many topics on the internet about this, but there is nothing about how to handle it. If someone found a solution, please, help me, it is very inconvenient to use the MacBook by restarting it every 3-4 hours. I read some discussions here and someones say that cursors color preference causes this issue, but I never changed it, and others say that it is caused by the dell external monitor's app, but I don't use any external monitors. I have a clean setup of the system, without some tricky changes.

Model: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)

Chip: Apple M1 Pro

Memory: 16 GB

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 5:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 4:52 AM

Then while at it, do the Monterey 12.2.1 update released recently

And to see what is really happening both Hardware and Software on this computer >>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

Avast AntiViru 

Ad Guard

Webroot

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2022 4:52 AM in response to geebrox

Then while at it, do the Monterey 12.2.1 update released recently

And to see what is really happening both Hardware and Software on this computer >>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

Avast AntiViru 

Ad Guard

Webroot

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 7, 2022 6:32 AM in response to geebrox

https://www.kaspersky.ca/home-security and do not see a Password Manager offered. So will conclude the same as pervious poster @ Luis Sequeira1

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

And may have an affect on the WindowsServer issue.

Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect

Plus, as previous suggested updating to version 12.2 Monterey released Jan 26, 2022.

It brings bug fixes and security fixes too. This too may have a positive affect on WindowsServer issue

Feb 7, 2022 7:51 AM in response to PRP_53

The same as I answered previously, I tried to use macOS without these applications, the result is the same. And regarding antiviruses, I don't use any antivirus software. I use password manager, cause I work in different OS and it supports all of them, https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kaspersky-password-manager/id1140461273

About VPN, I will say again, that I don't see this as a solution for this thread, it is just a recommendation, and thank you for that.

I discovered some forums and sites where people have the same problem as I have, and as I understand WindowServer is rendering video/graphics/particles anything related to graphics in macOS. So and I understood that this happens when I watch movies on full screen, regardless of browser type, even when I use offline video players (e.g. VLC).

I will try to update Monterey (12.2). I will let you know if it fixes the issue or not. Thank you for your answer.

Feb 7, 2022 3:18 AM in response to geebrox

I see that you have "security" stuff from Kaspersky... which I'd say is dubious.

You also have some vpn stuff, which should not be used unless it is to connect directly to your employer's network.

"Public" vpn are anything but private: Public VPN are anything but private

And last but not least, Chrome and its "keystone" agents and daemons not only consume vast resources, they do sometimes overwhelm the window server and videotoolbox, while appearing to be idle...

Feb 7, 2022 5:45 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I see that you have "security" stuff from Kaspersky... which I'd say is dubious.

So this "security" stuff is password manager, and I won't say this is dubious without providing any facts. And this is not related to the current issue with WindowServer, because I can reproduce it even if I delete these applications.

You also have some vpn stuff, which should not be used unless it is to connect directly to your employer's network.
"Public" vpn are anything but private: Public VPN are anything but private

Let's keep the discussion on the right topic, please. I asked about WindowServer and RAM, but not about VPN and security. I think this is out of topic. Thank you for your concern about this, but let's find out the solution for the problem that I have described, the issue is not resolved even when I didn't use any VPN, so it is unrelated.

And last but not least, Chrome and its "keystone" agents and daemons not only consume vast resources, they do sometimes overwhelm the window server and videotoolbox, while appearing to be idle...

I deleted Chrome and started using safari, I watched a movie for about 2 hours in full-screen mode, and WindowServer was consuming about 10GB of RAM, if I continue watching movies on the full-screen mode it could consume even more RAM, but I restarted the machine. I forgot to mention, that it happens only when I am using the mac on full-screen mode.

MBP M1 Pro | WindowServer high memory usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.