You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover intelligent mailboxes

Today, Apple Mail forgot all the intelligent mailboxes, which I find to be very annoying.

This is how it happened

• signed out of iCloud
  • signed in to iCloud again

When I opened Apple Mail, the 28 intelligent mailboxes I had set up - were gone.

In a time machine backup, I found two folders that looked related:

• SmartMailboxesLocalProperties.plist
  • SyncedSmartMailboxes.plist

I found no way to make Apple Mail accept these files though.

How can I get back these mailboxes?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 4, 2022 10:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 11:18 AM

Use Smart Mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Use mailboxes to organize email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-smart-mailbox-mail-mac/

I have tons of mailboxes, but none that would be considered "smart"; so I can't relay a personal experience, but mine are "on my Mac". If yours are not, you may have to recreate them.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2022 11:18 AM in response to cgassler

Use Smart Mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Use mailboxes to organize email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-smart-mailbox-mail-mac/

I have tons of mailboxes, but none that would be considered "smart"; so I can't relay a personal experience, but mine are "on my Mac". If yours are not, you may have to recreate them.

May 18, 2022 2:02 PM in response to cgassler

These actions solved my issue

• quit out of Mail.app
  • delete Mail index with Onyx.app
  • restore the Library/Mail folder from a time machine backup
  • move the contents of Library/Caches/ to the trash
  • log out and restart the Mac

Notes: I find these steps a bit rough, but due to lack of other/better info, I tried this and it worked. :-P

May 4, 2022 12:20 PM in response to babowa

Thank you for the links. They don't address my issue though.

I could manually recreate the mailboxes, but they have been set up over a long time and it would take a long time to configure those mailboxes again.

The information about the mailboxes is present, but Apple Mail does not accept it or needs further input. To me it looks like Apple Mail is set up in a way that forbids an easy fix - although it might feel easy, once the fix has been applied.

May 4, 2022 12:44 PM in response to cgassler

You have listed .plist files as folders. Where were these files originally? You can quit Mail and move these files to your Library folder (you can find Library by pressing the option key and clicking on the Go Menu). Moving the .plist files here: Library/Mail/v(number)/MailData might actually get your Smart mailboxes back when you re-open Mail.

Recover intelligent mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.