You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning Ball of Death….Mac totally unresponsive

I have an older Mac and called up some photos I had saved. After they opened the spinning ball of death appeared and has not gone away in the past 24 hours. I cannot get rid of it nor can I turn off my Mac with it’s power button. Everything is unresponsive. Can you help

iMac Pro

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 2:09 PM

4 replies

Jul 24, 2022 12:03 PM in response to JohnZimmm

My guess is your hard drive is failing. Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics do not detect many drive failures. I can provide another method of checking the health of the hard drive by creating & using a bootable Linux USB stick. Let me know if you are interested in this option.

If the hard drive is failing as I suspect, then the more you have the iMac powered on and the more you attempt to fix the iMac or access the data, the more likely the failure will get worse where even a professional data recovery service will be unable to retrieve any data.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Spinning Ball of Death….Mac totally unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.