You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Magic Keyboard for I-Pad Pro

Greetings folks, I am considering buying the 2022 I-Pad Pro 11 inch along with the Magic Keyboard for I-Pad Pro. I see there is a 2022 version of the keyboard and a now reduced 2021 version. After searching the web I cannot find any information on whether there are any differences between the 2021 and 2022 version of the Magic Keyboard. Can anyone please advise what the differences are? Would the 2021 version work? Is it worth the extra cost of going for the 2022 version. Apologies, I couldn’t find a more appropriate device and topic, so hope someone finds this and can help. Thank you in anticipation.

iPad Pro, 11-inch, 4th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 5:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 6:03 AM

The current 2022 version of the Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro is compatible with the fourth generation (2022) iPad Pro 11” - is and backwards-compatible with the earlier first to third generation models of the iPad Pro 11”.

By contrast, forward compatibility of any accessory cannot necessarily be assured.

While all models of the iPad Pro 11” share identical physical dimensions and positioning of the Smart Connector, with which the iPad and Magic Keyboard make electrical connection, the four generations of iPad have differing technical specifications.

The technical differences between the 2021 and 2022 models of the compatible Magic Keyboard are unclear; given that you are considering purchase of the 2022 model of iPad, you might be best advised to consider the 2022 model of the Magic Keyboard - as in so doing this removes any uncertainty as to suitability of the keyboard in accommodating the technical capabilities of the associated iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2022 6:03 AM in response to Skac1960

The current 2022 version of the Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro is compatible with the fourth generation (2022) iPad Pro 11” - is and backwards-compatible with the earlier first to third generation models of the iPad Pro 11”.

By contrast, forward compatibility of any accessory cannot necessarily be assured.

While all models of the iPad Pro 11” share identical physical dimensions and positioning of the Smart Connector, with which the iPad and Magic Keyboard make electrical connection, the four generations of iPad have differing technical specifications.

The technical differences between the 2021 and 2022 models of the compatible Magic Keyboard are unclear; given that you are considering purchase of the 2022 model of iPad, you might be best advised to consider the 2022 model of the Magic Keyboard - as in so doing this removes any uncertainty as to suitability of the keyboard in accommodating the technical capabilities of the associated iPad.

Nov 9, 2022 6:15 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi, thank you for your reply. It was helpful, but I was just wondering whether there was any data available anywhere that might show whether there are any technical differences between the two keyboard versions. For example, I know in the past Apple have added more magnets for a more secure fit and I saw that they had also added a more premium coating on the track pad. I can't find any such enhancement between these 2 latest versions. I absolutely take the point that I should buy the 2022 version to be 100% sure of compatibility, but at present there is a £70 difference in price. Who knows what that difference might be closer to Black Friday.

Apple Magic Keyboard for I-Pad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.