You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing AppleID Countries & potential loss of data

Hi, I have recently moved to Canada from The Netherlands and would like to set my App Store/etc. to the Canadian store but it says I have cancel my Apple One subscription to do so, I did but it still doesn’t let me change it (I assume the subscription has to run out first). Once that period runs out will I lose all my data stored on my iCloud is what my main concern is as I have a ton of pictures and files on there. (And will I need to cancel any App subscriptions too or will those change over automatically?)

Thanks in advance, and I wish Apple would just let me change it without having to cancel stuff…. But oh well

Posted on May 16, 2023 3:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 7:39 PM

In the legal documents: Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple you will find, "When your Paid Subscription to any Service ends, you will lose access to any functionality or Content of that Service that requires a Paid Subscription."

You are not only letting the service end but you are also changing to a different iCloud service. I would therefore play it safe and ensure you have independent backups of your data. I have never changed country with Apple so I don't know exactly how they handle it. There is a possibility that your data may somehow survive the transition but there is nothing I can find in the documentation that guarantees it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 16, 2023 7:39 PM in response to FoxOn3

In the legal documents: Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple you will find, "When your Paid Subscription to any Service ends, you will lose access to any functionality or Content of that Service that requires a Paid Subscription."

You are not only letting the service end but you are also changing to a different iCloud service. I would therefore play it safe and ensure you have independent backups of your data. I have never changed country with Apple so I don't know exactly how they handle it. There is a possibility that your data may somehow survive the transition but there is nothing I can find in the documentation that guarantees it.

Oct 24, 2023 12:31 PM in response to FoxOn3

I have a similar issue. I actually live in BOTH Canada & the US, and I occasionally need access to apps that are NOT in the app store of the country that I'm in. But in order to CHANGE COUNTRY to access the correct app store (ONLY for a simple, single download of an app), I LOSE my AppleCare subscription, and I'm not permitted to restore or renew it. I'd like Apple to consider allowing people to MAINTAIN their AppleCare subscriptions (or renew them), if only for 24 or 48 hours, or, even better, until their subscription period ends, if, for these interim reasons, we need to change our country or app store.

Changing AppleID Countries & potential loss of data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.