You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do Apple updates cause printer and mail problems?

I no longer have the option to print on my iPhone X. I have two printers, and I used to be able to print to either of them but every time there’s an update you never know if you’ll lose one or the other now I have lost both. Sometimes they straighten themselves out. Sometimes I go searching for some kind of an update. I’m not sure what’s supposed to work. I also find that Apple update screw up my Apple mail, I had to download the Yahoo! app because often my mail would come to hours late and when I got it, they told me what it was but it said it couldn’t be download it from the server so I go over to my yahoo app and I would see the mail there but now it doesn’t even tell me that there is mail I have talk to Apple, but they don’t seem to know there was a problem and yet I know other people with that problem. Printing and mail used to be simple and seamless. This is an apple problem. I want them to take responsibility and fix it, or at the very least. Tell me how to fix it. I have followed some directions there a list of other people who suggest six different methods, most of which you have to take everything apart and put it back together. I have tried some of them and they haven’t been successful, does anybody have any solution. I saw in another posting that people with iPhone 6s were having problems with PRINT so it’s a long-standing problem and quite annoying one

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 7:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 7:48 AM

Hi,

Regarding printing: It is difficult to provide troubleshooting advice without knowing the exact printer model(s). Anyway, I assume that you have AirPrint-enabled printers connected to a Wi-Fi router, and that a special iOS app from the printer manufacturer is not used.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

In case of a device discovery problem, and if all settings are OK, a full power-cycle procedure (in the following order and with waiting times) may be worth testing:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printers, the iPhone, and all other computers/devices. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printers. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other computers/devices.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2023 7:48 AM in response to LostinspaceandPuzzled

Hi,

Regarding printing: It is difficult to provide troubleshooting advice without knowing the exact printer model(s). Anyway, I assume that you have AirPrint-enabled printers connected to a Wi-Fi router, and that a special iOS app from the printer manufacturer is not used.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

In case of a device discovery problem, and if all settings are OK, a full power-cycle procedure (in the following order and with waiting times) may be worth testing:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printers, the iPhone, and all other computers/devices. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printers. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other computers/devices.

Sep 17, 2023 10:49 PM in response to LostinspaceandPuzzled

Updating iOS on your iPhone should typically not alter the fundamental functionality of the device. It's possible that there were underlying issues before this update, which you might not have been aware of previously or might not have noticed.

In general, iOS updates are designed to enhance the user experience, improve security, and fix bugs, rather than introducing major disruptions to core features. The reported issue of the screen flickering and displaying a white screen after an update is likely caused by factors that are not explicitly mentioned in your post.

iOS updates primarily focus on improving system performance, introducing new features, fixing bugs, and enhancing security. They are designed to preserve your personal data, settings, and information intact.

During an iOS update, your device's operating system is upgraded, but your personal data, such as contacts, photos, messages, and other information, should remain unchanged. However, it's always a good practice to perform a backup of your device before any major update to ensure that your data is safely stored.

It's important to note that while an iOS update itself should not alter personal details, it's possible that certain features or settings may be adjusted or improved with the update. In such cases, you may need to review and adjust specific settings to match your preferences after the update.

Always make sure to read and understand the update details provided by Apple before proceeding with an iOS update, and follow best practices such as backing up your device to minimize any potential risks or complications.

Feb 5, 2024 4:04 PM in response to SravanKrA

I have tried many of the options I found and my AirPrint printer still is not found on my iPad and iPhone. As mentioned in an earlier response, Apple is supposed to be seamless. That’s no longer true. Apple is getting more complicated for the average person. Still waiting for a work around or a better OSi version or a solution that works. Very disappointing.

Feb 6, 2024 7:04 AM in response to AnnestasiaOSi

AnnestasiaOSi wrote:

I have tried many of the options I found and my AirPrint printer still is not found on my iPad and iPhone. As mentioned in an earlier response, Apple is supposed to be seamless. That’s no longer true. Apple is getting more complicated for the average person. Still waiting for a work around or a better OSi version or a solution that works. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately, Apple has no control over third-party hardware.

Feb 7, 2024 3:51 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Let’s point fingers back and forth between these two suppliers. Think that will work?

These suppliers have a large portion of the market and it is in their best interests to have their customers have a less complicated experience when either supplier make adjustments. At the very least either can publish a work around that works instead of its customers struggling through trying different approaches found online by so called experts. The frustration continues to be very annoying and it results in less support for either of these suppliers. Still looking for a good answer to the original question.

Why do Apple updates cause printer and mail problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.