You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to Ventura before updating to Sonoma?

I see that Sonoma has now been released for installation. I never did download Ventura. I am running Monterey 12.7 on my 13" MacBook Pro. Would it be safer to download and install Ventura before downloading and installing Sonoma? I am planning to wait a while anyway before installing Sonoma to let the worst bugs get discovered and eliminated. But would it make sense for me to download Ventura now?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 12:33 PM

8 replies

Sep 28, 2023 2:00 PM in response to Ginny C.

Yes

Though, having moved from Ventura 13.6 to Somona 14.0 has so far been very smooth on 3 different M1 / M2 Computer I own and Operate

To be fair and level minded, My experience does not translate to All Others experiences

Have read elsewhere, Apple has already released a Developers version of Sonoma 14.1 for testing which would mean some bugs are already being addressed

Sep 28, 2023 2:14 PM in response to Ginny C.

Make a back up. Update. Annual OS updates mean that they are all iterative. Each new version is an evolution of the last. Nothing much really changes. That means major issues are very ver y rare. If there's an issue that affects you, revert using the back up. I've been using Macs now for 30 years and I've never had to revert an update. Ever. So, back up. Update. Go on with your life.

Sep 29, 2023 9:18 AM in response to Ginny C.

But would it make sense for me to download Ventura now?

Ginny C. wrote:

But would it make sense for me to download Ventura now?

Not really, in my opinion. I've often "leap-frogged" an upgrade before (in your case going from Monterey straight to Sonoma, leaving out Ventura) with no problems. I would wait until Sonoma 14.1 is out and then upgrade. Just make sure you do a backup of Monterey before upgrading! Cheers!

Sep 29, 2023 9:31 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your input. I've been using Macs for close to 30 years myself. Trying to remember the first year that I started. Maybe it has been 30 years. Never have had a problem with an update but I have avoided updating when an OS is first released. Since I never did install Ventura and noticed that Sonoma is the newest OS and I don't recall installing a new OS without installing the previous ones before, I thought I should check. You make a good point that you never have had to revert. I've never had a problem in the past. But it would be a major PITA if there was a problem. I noticed some who have installed Sonoma are reporting problems connected to the internet.

Sep 29, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Ian Leckie

I would wait until Sonoma 14.1 is out and then upgrade.

Why? The logic of that is you never upgrade. If 14.1 solved all problems then there would never be a 14.2 or a 14.3... So why trust 14.1 but not 14.0 or 14.5? Remember this OS isn't just chucked out there, but has been extensively beta tested since last June, mostly by users, just like you. 14.1 is a psychological crutch not an upgrade strategy.

Mind you, you're dead right about backing up first...

Sep 29, 2023 11:29 AM in response to Ginny C.

I noticed some who have installed Sonoma are reporting problems connected to the internet.

If you wait until no one on the internet is reporting an issue then you'll never upgrade... Look around this forum, there are people reporting issues with OSes from 4 and 5 years ago... And while no one doubts that these folks have real issues, are you sure that the issue is Sonoma, and if it is, how come only these few people are affected?

Feb 29, 2024 3:20 AM in response to jyecycle

As I said above:

Make a back up. Update. Annual OS updates mean that they are all iterative. Each new version is an evolution of the last. Nothing much really changes. That means major issues are very ver y rare. If there's an issue that affects you, revert using the back up. I've been using Macs now for 30 years and I've never had to revert an update. Ever. So, back up. Update. Go on with your life.

Why is this advice terrible?

Things often don't work when you update to new OS,

Actually no. Most people upgrade and go in with their lives. As for things not working, a large percentage of the posts on here after a new OS relate to users not being familiar with the changes, users not updating 3rd party software for the new OS. Only a very small percentage ever rate to issues with the OS itself. But thanks for taking the time to register and make a new post just to say that.

Update to Ventura before updating to Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.