You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 MacBook Pro 15” Flexgate

I have a 2016 15" MBP which has just started to exhibit the flexgate problem in that the screen goes black when open > 45 degrees. Does anyone know if Apple have accepted that this flexgate issue as a repair obligation as per the MBP 13". Or perhaps this is a simple microswitch or cable connector type of issue? Much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 2:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 9:14 AM

Hi Tom

Just to update & thank you. I am in the UK so visited a local apple store. Once I had managed to see a genius who explained the standard MBP 15" not covered as per the 13" and that therefore approx £650 repair was only option, I then produced the paperwork from the forum and < 6yr receipt, and flagged the UK consumer law issue. He kindly raised with the store manager who immediately authorised a free repair. Perhaps it is because the 2016 MBPs are nearing end of UK 6yrs and Apple feel it better to show some goodwill as per the MBP 13", or perhaps just the local manager decided commendably to do the right thing by a long term Apple customer who had purchased many devices for family and business per the years. I think it was simply that she was a good person who wanted to do the right thing. Once sent off I had it back a week later sorted out. Leaves the relationship in the right place. Thank-you for the heads up on the consumer law point. It made the difference. Sorted. Kindest regards..

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2021 9:14 AM in response to nigelK2009

Hi Tom

Just to update & thank you. I am in the UK so visited a local apple store. Once I had managed to see a genius who explained the standard MBP 15" not covered as per the 13" and that therefore approx £650 repair was only option, I then produced the paperwork from the forum and < 6yr receipt, and flagged the UK consumer law issue. He kindly raised with the store manager who immediately authorised a free repair. Perhaps it is because the 2016 MBPs are nearing end of UK 6yrs and Apple feel it better to show some goodwill as per the MBP 13", or perhaps just the local manager decided commendably to do the right thing by a long term Apple customer who had purchased many devices for family and business per the years. I think it was simply that she was a good person who wanted to do the right thing. Once sent off I had it back a week later sorted out. Leaves the relationship in the right place. Thank-you for the heads up on the consumer law point. It made the difference. Sorted. Kindest regards..

Oct 29, 2021 9:00 AM in response to nigelK2009

No, they haven't introduced any repair program for the 15 inch, nor for the 2017 MacBook Pro. They are denying the issue and try to avoid responsibility for their own design flaw. However, there are plenty of forums online where people claim that they got the issue resolved by Apple for free, but they had to be really pushy. If you are in the UK or Ireland, you might still be covered by consumer law.

2016 MacBook Pro 15” Flexgate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.