You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv remote lost and am in a new wifi

Hello, 1) I moved to a new home and set up a new wifi network, 2) the Apple TV I have was programmed with my previous Wifi network name and password. When I open my phone Remote App, it tells me "Can't Connect to Apple TV. Make sure "Apple TV" is turned on and connected to the same Wi-Fi ntwwork." Duh.. I already know the Apple TV is not connected to my new wifi network. Wouldn't you think Apple would have solved this problem. Does anyone know of a creative solution to this problem without buying another remote?

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 3:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 6:43 PM

I'm sorry to be pessimistic but without any kind of remote you're unable to communicate with the Apple TV.

The reset instructions require you to navigate the settings menu to do it and how would you do it without a remote.

Only way to hack it as I see it is to setup the old WIFI router in the new home and control it with the remote app and reset it using your old WIFI and then moving on to setting up the new WIFI if possible. Should be able to use bluetooth to configure the new WIFI settings.

Or you can just but a new remote if you fail.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 15, 2020 6:43 PM in response to TheLittles

I'm sorry to be pessimistic but without any kind of remote you're unable to communicate with the Apple TV.

The reset instructions require you to navigate the settings menu to do it and how would you do it without a remote.

Only way to hack it as I see it is to setup the old WIFI router in the new home and control it with the remote app and reset it using your old WIFI and then moving on to setting up the new WIFI if possible. Should be able to use bluetooth to configure the new WIFI settings.

Or you can just but a new remote if you fail.

Mar 15, 2020 6:35 PM in response to kamalde

kamalde Said:

"I moved to a new home and set up a new wifi network, 2) the Apple TV I have was programmed with my previous Wifi network name and password. When I open my phone Remote App, it tells me "Can't Connect to Apple TV. Make sure "Apple TV" is turned on and connected to the same Wi-Fi ntwwork."

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• Confirm your Connection:

Your router, if dual-band or (newer) tri-band, is going to have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz operability. So, be certain you are connected to the correct network, should they both be broadcasted by the same SSID (Network Name).

• Power off your Apple TV for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Try this once more.

• Remove the Network from the app and from the Apple TV. Then add it back in, logging in.

Mar 16, 2020 12:39 AM in response to kamalde

What is your model Apple TV? The course of action may differ by model.

Does anyone know of a creative solution to this problem without buying another remote?
  • Temporarily borrow someone else’s Apple Remote, to do the setup. You will need to link it before use. Then the owner will need to re-link it with their own device afterwards.
  • Apple TVs can connect with certain bluetooth keyboards. Then you could navigate with the arrow keys. This requires a reset of the device, to be able to connect to it without remote input.

Mar 16, 2020 5:17 AM in response to Flugaren

Thank you! I share your pessimism because of the same reasons you mention in your reply. I have made a mistake I don’t have the old router I had in my old home. I now have a new router.

Now I’m thinking, I should program the new router with my old home router’s name and password. That should do it, right?

Mar 16, 2020 5:22 AM in response to kamalde

You should try and report back I'm not completely aware if you can just change SSID of the network or if it is set in stone just like a MAC adresss is thus unchangable and unique.

Hoping for the best.

You already know what the worst case is which is somehow getting your hands on an Apple TV remote.

This sparked a thought you should be able to bring it to any apple repair shop and get it fixed but I don't know the cost you might just pick up an apple tv remote instead due to expensive repair bill which should be cheap for such a simple task.

Mar 16, 2020 5:56 AM in response to Flugaren

I’ll keep you posted. Going to Apple for repair or help with the situation is a good idea also.

i think Apple needs to catch up with technology deployed by HP. Two days ago I bought a used HP printer on Craigslist. The printer is HP deskjet 2620. It has a tiny screen and several buttons. I was wondering how I should connect the printer with my home WiFi. I Googled and immediately found a software called HP Easy Setup, which I downloaded on my Apple laptop. Once I installed the software, it magically connected the printer with my home WiFi and I was printing in minutes. Wow! Couldn’t Apple do the same and call it “Apple Easy Setup” or “Apple TV Easy Set Up” that one could download on their laptop like HP?

Mar 16, 2020 6:46 AM in response to kamalde

There are many explanations to how HP have solved it but an Apple TV is an active agent while a printer is a passive agent.

The printer might broadcast it's own WIFI network so the HP Easy Setup can find it. Otherwise you'll need to wire the printer up during setup. Acccess to the private WIFI of the home would not be known if you use a desktop computer like my two PCs. My Mac mini is a exception with both bluetooth and WIFI.

After the printer is connected to WIFI both PCs can print to it due to them being on the same network as the printer even when they use cables to connect to the router.

If you want to make a utensil resetable without any controllers it usually comes as a hole you can poke a needle into.

Apple TV was clearly not designed to be used without a remote.

The corona virus is affecting things all over the place soon you can't even visit a store. Bad for everyone.

apple tv remote lost and am in a new wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.