You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I purchase SD TV shows instead of HD on the TV app in Catalina?

I want to buy/download SD TV show episodes so it costs less. (SD is $1.99 vs HD $2.99 per episode). On my apple tv there is a place to change your purchase preferences from HD to SD, but there doesn't seem to be a way on my laptop. I am using the TV app in Catalina.

I've seen a bunch of people asking this question and there doesn't seem to be any sort of workaround? It must be something you have to set up in the store, but I'm at a loss.

Help a girl buy her reality tv shows without going broke? :P

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 7:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 5:16 PM

Yes, I do understand that I can buy SD on my apple tv. I am trying to buy SD within the apple app on my macbook air.

Yes, it is up to date.

Please tell me how I can change my settings on my desktop to purchase the SD version of tv shows.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 3, 2020 3:25 PM in response to shanalyn

Hey there shanalyn,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having issues purchasing a SD TV show on your Mac, but you can purchase it through your Apple TV. Is your Mac up-to-date? If not, we do recommend updating your Mac.

Also, if you buy or rent a movie from the Apple TV app, you can stream it on the device that you bought it on and any of your other devices, as long as you're signed in to all of your devices with the same Apple ID. 

Here are some resources that can help:

Find and watch movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos

How to update the software on your Mac

Have a great day!

Aug 3, 2020 7:58 PM in response to shanalyn

Thank you for the reply shanalyn,

Content versions may not be available for a variety of reasons. In the meantime, here's another option to try: Open the Apple TV app, then click on Account > Purchased > TV Shows > uncheck Download HD When Available.

If additional help is needed, please reach out to Apple Media Services here: Get Support

Have a great rest of your day.

How can I purchase SD TV shows instead of HD on the TV app in Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.