You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damage to back of laptop lid

I bought a cheap laptop cover and it appears to have damaged the aluminum "lid" of my 13" Macbook Pro 2020 (2 ports). I'm totally blanking on the proper word right now, sorry about that.

Is this lasting damage I should be concerned about, or will it be okay as long as I never use this style of laptop cover again? This is actual buckling and warping you're seeing, not a scratch.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 8:07 PM

phouka_poo wrote:

I bought a cheap laptop cover and it appears to have damaged the aluminum "lid" of my 13" Macbook Pro 2020 (2 ports). I'm totally blanking on the proper word right now, sorry about that.

Is this lasting damage I should be concerned about, or will it be okay as long as I never use this style of laptop cover again? This is actual buckling and warping you're seeing, not a scratch.

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Personally I never recommend any type of screen protector or case or cover.

I would agree it is most likely cosmetic... being at the hinge area is could have weakened it and will get worse. I would wait and see how it goes if you have no coverage.

To repair it is a complete Display Assembly replacement no matter now or latter.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2022 8:07 PM in response to phouka_poo

phouka_poo wrote:

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Personally I never recommend any type of screen protector or case or cover.

I would agree it is most likely cosmetic... being at the hinge area is could have weakened it and will get worse. I would wait and see how it goes if you have no coverage.

To repair it is a complete Display Assembly replacement no matter now or latter.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Damage to back of laptop lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.