You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to erase phone but I don't get ERASE as an option when I try to turn off Find My and Activation Locks? I get 'Turn Off'??

I am following all steps to erase my phone. When I get to turning off Find my and activation locks, I don't get the ERASE option top right, I only see Turn Off, but when I click this, the screen just freezes and nothing happens. Any ideas?

MRBOX(EM150),

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 5:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 6:01 AM

If you're trying to erase your phone, but you only see the option to "Turn Off" instead of "Erase," it could be due to the settings on your device. Here's what you can do:

1. Make Sure You're Signed In: Ensure that you are signed in to the device with the same Apple ID that is associated with Find My iPhone. This is necessary to access the "Erase" feature.
  2. Disable Find My: To erase your device, you need to disable "Find My." Follow these steps:
    • Go to "Settings."
    • Tap your name at the top to access your Apple ID settings.
    • Scroll down and tap "Find My."
    • Toggle off "Find My iPhone."
  1. Turn Off Activation Lock: Once "Find My" is turned off, you can then turn off the Activation Lock. This is a necessary step before erasing your device.
  2. Erase Your Device: After both "Find My" and Activation Lock are turned off, you should be able to go back to "Settings" and then "General." Scroll down and tap "Reset," and then select "Erase All Content and Settings."

Please note that these steps may vary slightly depending on your iOS version, so make sure to follow the instructions that correspond to your specific device and iOS version.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2023 6:01 AM in response to claret333

If you're trying to erase your phone, but you only see the option to "Turn Off" instead of "Erase," it could be due to the settings on your device. Here's what you can do:

1. Make Sure You're Signed In: Ensure that you are signed in to the device with the same Apple ID that is associated with Find My iPhone. This is necessary to access the "Erase" feature.
  2. Disable Find My: To erase your device, you need to disable "Find My." Follow these steps:
    • Go to "Settings."
    • Tap your name at the top to access your Apple ID settings.
    • Scroll down and tap "Find My."
    • Toggle off "Find My iPhone."
  1. Turn Off Activation Lock: Once "Find My" is turned off, you can then turn off the Activation Lock. This is a necessary step before erasing your device.
  2. Erase Your Device: After both "Find My" and Activation Lock are turned off, you should be able to go back to "Settings" and then "General." Scroll down and tap "Reset," and then select "Erase All Content and Settings."

Please note that these steps may vary slightly depending on your iOS version, so make sure to follow the instructions that correspond to your specific device and iOS version.

Trying to erase phone but I don't get ERASE as an option when I try to turn off Find My and Activation Locks? I get 'Turn Off'??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.